[R] Histogram/BoxPlot Panel

baptiste auguie baptiste.auguie at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 29 12:48:38 CET 2009

Hi,

Here is some artificial data followed by minimal ggplot2 and lattice examples,

makeUpData <- function(){
  data.frame(x=sample(letters[1:4], 100, repl=TRUE), y=rnorm(100))
  }

datasets <- replicate(15, makeUpData(), simplify=FALSE)
names(datasets) <- paste("dataset", seq_along(datasets), sep="")

str(datasets)

require(reshape)
## combine the datasets in one long format data.frame
m <- melt(datasets, meas=c("y"))

str(m)

require(ggplot2)

ggplot(m)+
  geom_boxplot(mapping=aes(x, value))+
  facet_wrap(~L1)

# or more concisely
qplot(x, value, data=m, geom="boxplot", facets=~L1)

require(lattice)

bwplot(value~x | L1, data=m)

HTH,

baptiste