[R] Extracting Coefficients and Such from mle2 Output

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Mon Feb 2 02:08:34 CET 2009

A minor footnote to Ben's response.

Why is it *supposed* to be harder to get bits out of objects like this and why should you work through accessor functions?  ("If it works, why shouldn't I use it?" - why indeed.)

The answer I would give is that if you work through the official accessor functions provided by the package, then your code stands a good chance of working even if the author of the package decides to change the representation of the object in future releases.  That's why your should steer clear of using anything that relies on the internal details of an object and not just the public face presented.

This strategy also makes your code easier for someone else to follow.  Your intentions become clearer.

Bill Venables
http://www.cmis.csiro.au/bill.venables/