[R] logLik for poisson models

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Mon Feb 2 05:32:22 CET 2009

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Antonio.Gasparrini at lshtm.ac.uk wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have a very basic question:
> how does the logLik function work for poisson models?

You mean its inner workings or just what is the computation?

The computation is just the vanilla loglikelihood:

 	sum( dpois( y, mean(y), log=TRUE) )

for your Poisson model.

See
 	?dpois

And for the inner workings, see

 	stats:::logLik.glm

 	poisson()$aic

---

More generally, read the article

   	Ligges, U. (2006): R Help Desk: Accessing the Sources. R News 6
   	(4), 43-45. http://cran.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/

HTH,

Chuck