[R] Problem with foreign package

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Feb 2 16:48:37 CET 2009

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 2/2/2009 8:46 AM, Kevin E. Thorpe wrote:
>> I tried to use write.foreign() to export to SAS this morning and got an
>> error.
>>
>> When I looked at the code for writeForeignSAS() I saw this line:
>>
>> dfn < -df
>>
>> which I think should be
>>
>> dfn <- df
>>
>> So, I tried to run update.packages() to see if there was an updated version
>> and got the following result.
>
> That bug was fixed a few weeks ago, but a new version has not been released
> yet.  You can get the latest source from svn:
>
> https://svn.r-project.org/R-packages/trunk/foreign

Yes, and there is a good reason.  No less than 3 people reported
problems in 0.8-29 without reproducible examples.  When I releaseed
0.8-30, I asked them to test it.  Despite reminders, I am still
waiting for any answer, and will wait another week.

It really is unhelpful to report problems and not be prepared to
answer follow-up questions nor test solutions.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk