[R] Tunnelling X for R graphics

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 3 08:51:17 CET 2009

To answer your basic question, you do need to shut down everything
involivng X, that is X11() devices and the X11 dataeditor.  If you do
that (and graphics.off() will suffice for the first), you should be
able to re-open an X11 device on another display (which is what
presumably a new VNC connection gives you).

The warning comes from any X erorr, and it is not possible to know how
serious it is without external information.