[R] Problems in Recommending R

Neil Shephard nshephard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 17:30:53 CET 2009

hadley wrote:

>> The most useful thing (and quite rightly so) on the front page is the
>> link
>> the the FAQ which should be the starting point for anyone looking at any
>> new
>> software, and answers/explains everything thats pertinent!  (At least
>> thats
>> what I read first when I start using new software and have questions).
>
> Again, have you ever read the FAQ?  It is 133 pages!

133 pages (when printed?) that is divivded up into nice sections with
sensible, navigable headings so that I can quickly find the relevant
information....

>From r-project.org -> R FAQ -> R Basics -> How Can R be Installed -> Choose
your OS all in <10 seconds.

People can only have their hands held for so long (and I'm not for one
minute insinuating that you need your hand holding, its a more general
comment as the information is out there, it just requires it to be read and
understood).

Neil