[R] R installation in a multiple-user Windows environment

Jonathan Greenberg greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Tue Feb 3 20:10:51 CET 2009

Hmm, perhaps I'm missing the relevant section in the R Installation and
Administration manual -- here is the error I'm getting:

package 'akima' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package 'gam' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded packages are in
        C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local
Settings\Temp\7\RtmpR1XJ61\downloaded_packages
updating HTML package descriptions
Warning message:
In file.create(f.tg) :
  cannot create file 'C:\PROGRA~1\R\R-28~1.1/doc/html/packages.html',
reason 'Permission denied'

So the packages are getting installed fine, but that final section seems
to be throwing an error.  Its installing to a read-only (for a non-admin
user) location.

--j

--

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD