[R] The Origins of R

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 08:15:08 CET 2009

>> Indeed.  The postings exuded a tabloid-esque level of slimy nastiness.

Indeed, indeed. But I do not feel that that is necessarily the case. Credit
should be given where credit is due. And that, I believe is the issue that
is getting (some) people hot and bothered. Certainly, Trevor Hastie in his
reply to the NY Times article, was not too happy with this aspect of the
story.

Granted, his comments were not made on this list, but the objection is
essentially the same. I would not call what he had to say "Mischief making"
or smacking of a "tabloid-esque level of slimy nastiness." The knee-jerk
reaction seems to be that this is a criticism of R. It is not. It is a
criticism of a poorly researched article.

It also is an undeniable and inescapable fact that most S code runs in R.

Regards, Mark.