[R] The Origins of R

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Wed Feb 4 10:35:27 CET 2009

It seems to me that the "other side" from John's
post here have complaints resulting from how
newspapers operate.  While few readers here
are likely to have much direct experience with
newspapers, a lot (I presume) have experience
with submitting papers to journals.

Such experience is likely to include demands to
cut out large portions of the original in order to
cut down on page count.  The same process
operates in newspapers, but to the third power
(and generally under considerable time pressure).

My reaction to the section of the original NYT
article under discussion was that it was a
disjointed mess due to editing rather than a slight
to anyone anywhere.

Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696
http://www.burns-stat.com
(home of "The R Inferno" and "A Guide for the Unwilling S User")