[R] ggplot: problem with fill option in stat_smooth()

Ian Fiske ianfiske at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 16:12:39 CET 2009

Hi all,

I am using ggplot2 and continuing to find it very useful and pretty.
However, I am trying to create some graphics for publication that would be
included in an MS Word document (not my choice!) in Windows Vista.

The problem is that I want to use stat_smooth() to add an fitted linear
model line along with its 95% confidence band, but I cannot seem to get the
confidence band in a format that would import into Word.  I have read the
documentation and am using the fill="grey50" argument to eliminate
transparency as a potential problem.  But still, I have tried nearly all
export formats and the only one that correctly shows the confidence band is
PDF, which I cannot import into Word as a vector graphic.

This makes me wonder if the fill="grey50" option is working as advertised.

Here is a simple example using the mtcars data set included with ggplot2:
qplot(wt,mpg,data=mtcars) + stat_smooth(fill="grey50")

I even tried the Cairo library as one R-help post suggested, but to no
avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much,
Ian Fiske