[R] non-numeric argument to binary operator

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Thu Feb 5 05:32:12 CET 2009

You are making difficulties where there are none.  Consider

> x1 <- 1:3     #  Why c(...)?
> x2 <- 2:4
> x12 <- x1*x2  #  element by element product  (matlab .* operator)
> x12
[1]  2  6 12
> x12 <- outer(x1, x2)  # another possibility - outer product
> x12
     [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    2    3    4
[2,]    4    6    8
[3,]    6    9   12
> x12 <- x1 %*% x2      # yet another possibility - inner product
> x12
     [,1]
[1,]   20

It's probably best if you start learning R by reading the introductory material and trying it out. If the going gets tough, persevere. Trying to learn R directly from R-help can get a bit tedious (on both sides).

Bill Venables
http://www.cmis.csiro.au/bill.venables/