[R] The Origins of R AND CALCULUS

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 5 09:29:55 CET 2009

Wacek,

If you have bug reports for a contributed package please take them up with the maintainer, not the list.

       -thomas

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Wacek Kusnierczyk wrote:

> Ajay ohri wrote:
> An amusing afterthought : What is a rival software (ahem!) was planting
> this, hoping for a divide between S and R communities.or at the very minimum
> hoping for some amusement. an assumption or even a pretense of stealing
> credit is one of the easiest ways of sparking intellectual discord
> Most users of softwares don't really care about who gets credit ( Who wrote
> Windows Vista ,or Mac OS or Ubuntu Linux), and the NYT is a newspaper not a
> journal.
>
> Does any student, or teacher for that matter care whether Newton or Leibntiz
> invented calculas.

supposed to be funny?  type citation() in r, you'll read:

"We have invested a lot of time and effort in creating R, please cite it
when using it for data analysis. See also ‘citation("pkgname")’ for
citing R packages."

why care whether newton or leibnitz invented calculus?  why care who has
invested a lot of time and effort in this or that?

vQ