[R] The Origins of R AND CALCULUS

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 12:53:39 CET 2009

Peter Dalgaard wrote:

>> This of course does not mean that the current R should not acknowledge
>> its substantial S heritage, just that if you want to describe the early
>> history of R
>> accurately, you do need to choose your words rather more carefully.

Point taken, Peter. But I wan't trying to give an accurate portrayal of the
origins of R. That was Mr. Vance's obligation. I was attempting to show how
easy it would be for someone who is a writer by profession to make
reasonable, and proper, reference to R's "substantial S heritage...," as you
yourself put it. And that, really, I feel, is the point.