[R] How to convert Charagter variables into numeric

Arup arup.pramanik27 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 07:50:38 CET 2009

I am importing a dataset in R where some of the variable are numerical and
some of them are character...but the problem is that R is treating
numerical variables as character (I am using "is.character" to judge the
type). Now the question is how can I convert these character variables into
numeric and also let me know about the other conversion like "numeric to
categorical","numeric to continuous" etc.Thank you.

Arup