[R] Problems in Recommending R

Wacek Kusnierczyk Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk at idi.ntnu.no
Fri Feb 6 09:00:37 CET 2009

Patrick Connolly wrote:
> On Sun, 01-Feb-2009 at 11:34PM -0500, Stavros Macrakis wrote:
>
> |> A first step that would make the current Web page look much better
> |> would be to anti-alias the demonstration graphic.  The current graphic
> |> makes R graphics seem (falsely!) to be very primitive. I'm afraid I
> |> don't know how to do the anti-aliasing myself.
> |>
> |> Replacing the fixed-width, typewriter-style font with something a bit
> |> more elegant might also be good....
>
> I'd say it would not be good.  Fixed-width fonts are desirable when
> it's for code (of any language).

not necessarily.  when you do not need clearly visible number of spaces
in indents or formats, why care.  very many books on programming could
have a better look had the authors (or editors) not insisted on having
the code in fixed-width.  in most cases i write my code with
variable-width font, and it feels much better to my eyes.  it's just a
matter of taste, perhaps ask psychologists if you really want it
quantified before making a grounded decision.

vQ

> The example www.knime.org site uses
> really dislike that.
>
> What's wrong with a spartan look?  Google has flourished with a
> no-unnecessaries approach to home page clutter.

Wacek Kusnierczyk, MD PhD

Email: waku at idi.ntnu.no
Phone: +47 73591875, +47 72574609

Department of Computer and Information Science (IDI)
Faculty of Information Technology, Mathematics and Electrical Engineering (IME)
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Sem Saelands vei 7, 7491 Trondheim, Norway
Room itv303

Bioinformatics & Gene Regulation Group
Department of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine (IKM)
Faculty of Medicine (DMF)
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Laboratory Center, Erling Skjalgsons gt. 1, 7030 Trondheim, Norway
Room 231.05.060