[R] Fw: Problem about Mann-Kendall trend test

Wang Yi wangyi at mail.tea.ac.cn
Fri Feb 6 16:34:04 CET 2009

From: "Wang Yi" <wangyi at mail.tea.ac.cn>
To: <r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>
Sent: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 23:30:56 +0800
Subject: Problem about Mann-Kendall trend test

Dear all R-users:

    In my case the series is the annual number of dry spell with their length
exceeding a given threshold representing extreme events frequency.

   1 0 2 2 1 1 2 1 2 1 1 1 2 3 4 0 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 1 2 0 1 2 2 2 3 4 2 0 2 1 2 2 2 6 1 2
4 1 3 1 2 1 3 4

I have been using Mann-Kendall test to estimate the trend. The result gives slope of
zero value but signicant p value (at 95% level).Since there are many ties in the data,
I wonder Mann-Kendall is a appropriate approach to test trends. Is there other
statistial method to deal with trend?

Any suggestion is appreciated in advance

Regards

--
  Wang Yi
  START Regional Center for Temperate East Asia(TEA),

  E-mail:wangyi at tea.ac.cn