[R] Rmpi Segmentation fault

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Feb 6 21:13:18 CET 2009

Paul,

On 6 February 2009 at 19:37, Paul Benton wrote:
| Dear all,
|
| I have used the Rmpi package many times before however this time the
| installation doesn't work :(. I've
| installed it as I always do with openMPI tar.gz file direct from the
| website. I'm installing on my ubuntu 8.10, R version 2.8.1.
| Linux 2.6.27-11-generic #1 SMP Thu Jan 29 19:28:32 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
|
| All i get is:
| > library(Rmpi)
| Segmentation fault
| :~$
| Which dumps me back into the shell, and doesn't give me much to work with.
| I've included my install of Rmpi that went fine as far as I could see. Is
| this a openMPI problem or Rmpi or even an R problem? Any help would be
| great. Also is there a way beside 'make test' to test my install of
| openMPI?

Welcome to hell!

I have been chasing the same issue for well over a week on the same platform
(by locally rebuilding the Debian Open MPI package on Ubuntu amd64) and am
really no further.  The seg fault happens 'deep down' in the mca
initialisation.

I have been in contact with Hao Yu (upstream for Rmpi) and Jeff Squires and
Brian Barrett from Open MPI (after first reporting it on the ompi list
myself) who are as puzzled.  It is seems to be an intersection of amd64 and
ompi and Rmpi -- i386 works fine.

The r-sig-hpc list may be more topical, by the way.

Debugging help would be welcome!

Dirk