[R] installing R on Ubuntu

Paul Heinrich Dietrich paul.heinrich.dietrich at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 15:56:48 CET 2009

Amendment/Question #1:

When I update.packages(), it tells me that rgl fails to update because it
can't find X11.  Again, I'm pretty new to Ubuntu, but it looks like X comes
with Ubuntu.  I see files under /etc/X11.  Does this mean I need to download
x11-common (or x11-apps, or x11-utils, or one of the others?) with the
Synaptic Package Manager?  I hesitate on this because it seems like X11 is
not a simple add-on package, but something core to Ubuntu.  Any help is
appreciated.  Thanks.