[R] Error installing rjags in Ubuntu Linux

Paul Heinrich Dietrich paul.heinrich.dietrich at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 17:10:49 CET 2009

Hi,
Here is a step-by-step guide to exactly how I've installed R in Ubuntu:
http://www.nabble.com/installing-R-on-Ubuntu-td10025949.html#a21894865

Regarding rjags, here is what happened:

This webpage
(http://yusung.blogspot.com/2009/01/install-jags-and-rjags-in-fedora.html)
recommends logging into R as sudo R, and then typing:

install.packages("rjags",
configure.args="--with-jags-include=/usr/local/include/JAGS
--with-jags-lib=/usr/local/lib/JAGS
--with-jags-modules=/usr/local/lib/JAGS/modules")

...but I get...

Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
  unable to load shared library
'/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/rjags/libs/rjags.so':

...which is virtually identical to this thread
(http://www.nabble.com/unable-to-install-rjags-on-64-bit-Debian-Linux-(etch)-td20404210.html#a20404210)
about a 64-bit install.  Although my computer has dual AMD64's, I'm sure
it's a 32-bit system.  I have removed rjags with remove.packages("rjags").
Does anybody know how to install rjags in Ubuntu Linux (I'm specifying it,
because I am very new and don't know what I'm doing yet)?  Thanks.