[R] Embedding fonts in pdf graphics

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 8 21:42:06 CET 2009

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009, Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:

> I know you can control this with the cairo package, but I was hoping that
> embedFonts( ) would provide a way to embed all fonts, not just the
> non-standard ones.  I'm submitting graphics to a journal that wants Helvetica
> and Helvetica-bold embedded for some reason.  Is there an easy way to do this
> on a pdf graphic created wit pdf()?  A linux system command would be
> excellent for my purpose.

The problem is having a legitmately licensed version of those
copyright fonts that allows you to send them (or subsetted versions)
to the journal.  I do not know how that would come to be, and would be
inclined to ask the journal to supply them.

One possible way out is to use Nimbus Sans aka URW Helvetica, which
embetFonts can embed.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk