[R] installing R on Ubuntu

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Feb 8 22:28:27 CET 2009

On 8 February 2009 at 12:14, Paul Heinrich Dietrich wrote:
| Hi Dirk,
| Sorry, I'm not trying to drag out the installation process here, but just
| trying to get it to work right in Linux.
|

| Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >
| > What is wrong with
| >
| >      $ sudo apt-get install r-cran-rgl
| >

|  I tried this suggestion, and here was the terminal output:
|
| r-cran-rgl is already the newest version.
| r-cran-rgl set to manually installed.
| 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Good. You were supposed to stop here :)

| So, just to double-check, I went into R as sudo, entered update.packages(),
| and got this:
|
| rgl :
|  Version 0.76 installed in /usr/lib/R/site-library
|  Version 0.82 available at http://streaming.stat.iastate.edu/CRAN

You are confusing

a) having a _pre-compiled binary_ installed (0.76)
   ===> this implies only libraries for running this

b) having the ability to _locally compile_
   ===> this requires matching header files etc provided by the -dev
   packages.

And a) !=  b).  We provide a) because b) is harder as you discover below.

Unless you are reasonably experienced with your Linux distro of choice it is
somewhat difficult to build certain packages, especially when they have
hardware dependencies.

Which is _precisely_ why we provide the binaries.

Now, a good compromise is to look at the _source of pre-built package_ as
this contains the Debian/Ubuntu-specific knowledge that the generic source
does not have. In particular:

Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5.0.0), r-base-dev (>= 2.8.1), cdbs, libgl1-mesa-dev | libgl-dev, libglu1-mesa-dev | libglu-dev, libpng12-dev, libx11-dev, libxt-dev, x11proto-core-dev

leading to install

	libgl1-mesa-dev or libgl-dev
	libglu1-mesa-dev or libglu-dev
	libpng12-dev
	libx11-dev
	libxt-dev
	x11proto-core-dev

after which your local build will probably succeed.

There is nice way to semi-automate this, and we need to document it
better. It is somewhat more advanced though.

Hth, Dirk