[R] installing R on Ubuntu

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Feb 8 22:34:09 CET 2009

Please see the README at   http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu

| Ubuntu only "maintains" a handful of packages, instead of 1600+ right now on
| CRAN.  If you want to get the latest R in Ubuntu and download any current
| package, it seems like you have to follow a method like I've tried to piece
| together.  I hope I'm wrong here.  Cheers.

We have been working on providing close to all 1600 packages as .deb
packages.  We have about 1500 built, but so far only on Debian (though Ubuntu
should not be hard as a follow-up, volunteer-resources permitting), and not
in a repository that is publically accessible,. Hopefully we will more to say
about his at useR 2009.

Dirk