[R] beanplot, Error in shapiro.test(x)

Peter Kampstra pkampst=beanplot at cs.vu.nl
Mon Feb 9 02:13:30 CET 2009

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, Markus Loecher wrote:

> I am getting the following error message:
>
> Error in shapiro.test(x) : sample size must be between 3 and 5000
>
> I am not even sure why the shapiro.test is being used, but is there any
> workaround ?

Yes, use log="". (ex: beanplot(rnorm(5001),log="") )

The default, log="auto", uses shapiro.test. Perhaps this should be
improved for sample sizes greater than 5000. On the other end,
shapiro.test could be improved in the future, and 5000 is quite a lot for
a beanplot. When the data set is very large, R will freeze for some time.

Regards,

Peter Kampstra