[R] question about mean

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Mon Feb 9 04:40:27 CET 2009

Store your 'matrix' as a data frame.  Call it 'SchoolVals' say.  Then

SchoolMeans <- with(SchoolVals, tapply(value, school, mean))

should do it.  If you have missing values you want to ignore:

SchoolMeans <- with(SchoolVals, tapply(value, school, mean, na.rm = TRUE))

Bill Venables
http://www.cmis.csiro.au/bill.venables/