[R] Best 64-bit Linux distro for R?

Neil Shephard nshephard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 12:45:39 CET 2009

KMSL wrote:

> I'm running R on the current version of Gentoo and had no trouble building
> the complete system required.  The only problem is that the current
> version in portage (stable) is 2.7.2.

The latest _stable_ version (in terms of Gentoo's testing and release
policy, NOT R's) is 2.7.2 as you note, but dev-lang/R-2.8.1 is already in
portage (I usually request a version bump in Bugzilla when a new version of
R or ESS is released).

I have no problems running R-2.8.1 (although I am on ARCH="x86"), and I have
system-wide set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" so I always get the unstable versions
installed (and duly report back on bugs I encounter with R and other
packages).

If you don't want to go to testing on your system you can install the newer
version of R by adding the relevant entry to
/etc/portage/package.keywords...

echo 'dev-lan/R' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
emerge -uDNa dev-lang/R

Besides which its easy to bump the version in a local overlay yourself, but
I shan't digress further,

Neil