[R] Problems in Recommending R

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Feb 9 14:35:52 CET 2009

[coming late to an interesting thread ...]

    Ao> Plain HTML coding is simple enough for this list ( I think)...but aesthetic
    Ao> design....hmm

I tend to agree.  A few months ago, we had volunteers to improve
the ESS homepage (http://ess.r-project.org/), and I had asked
for a similar .. but different! .. restriction :
 Yes: the result should be maintainable by SVN
 BUT: it can depend on server-side functionality

Consequently, the two volunteers, Domenico Vistocco and Wilmar
Igl, confined the code to using PHP (+ HTML + CSS), and while
the result is not as if it had be done by (highly paid!)
professional designers, it is a big step forward, and we've been very
grateful for Domenico's and Wilmar's initiative and its result.

    Ao> But a contest would the best way to get the best design  and can be
    Ao> publicly asked from the graphics community ( not just the R
    Ao> community)..remember Tom Sawyer and the fence :)

I would find it fun to have a contest on this...
with the restriction of "ASCII-files (+ a few pics) maintainable by SVN"
but *not* restricting it to "no-server-side modules required".

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich