[R] installing R on Ubuntu

Michael Dewey info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Feb 9 16:04:39 CET 2009

At 07:58 09/02/2009, Thomas Lumley wrote:
>On Sun, 8 Feb 2009, Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:
>
>>Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>>>complex?  I | have a dual boot machine (Linux / Windows, where I
>>>use the latter the | most) and have plans to try R under Linux,
>>>but have not done so yet.  Is | it possible to simplify the Linux
>>>install procedure to make R more | accessible to novices?
>>>Yes. 'sudo apt-get install r-base ess ggobi' and you have working R, ESS and
>>>Ggobi.  Start Emacs, type 'M-x R' and you have an R session inside Emacs.
>>>Is that really easier to accomplish in Windows?
>>
>>No.  If it is that simple to install R under a Debian vaiant of
>>Linux, it definitely is easier.  On the other hand, using Emacs is
>>not (as far as I know) the thing for novices.  What I would prefer
>>is something that is as simple to use as the Windows (or even
>>better, the Mac interface) for R.

Tom,

For what it is worth
1 - as a long term Windows user and complete Linux novice I found the
process on Linux (using the Debian pages at CRAN and the r-sig-debian
help list as an instruction set) fairly straightforward. Some things
are easier, some harder.
2 - if all you want is a simple editor with syntax highlighting and
the ability to pipe commands to the running R then you could consider
Kate which you may already have. It is of course also much more
powerful than that but you can effortlessly ignore the powerful bits.
Plus Kate is a cute name.

>You might like JGR, then. http://jgr.markushelbig.org/JGR.html
>
>      -thomas
>
>Thomas Lumley                   Assoc. Professor, Biostatistics
>tlumley at u.washington.edu        University of Washington, Seattle

Michael Dewey
http://www.aghmed.fsnet.co.uk