[R] paraPen in gam [mgcv 1.4-1.1] and centering constraints

Daniel Sabanés Bové daniel.sabanesbove at campus.lmu.de
Mon Feb 9 22:19:37 CET 2009

Simon,

thank you very much for your very instructive response!

Your explanation has not only justified my intuitive solution to just
delete the corresponding row & column of the penalty matrix, when
choosing a reference category for dummy coding, but leads to a much
better understanding of this important issue.

Thanks again,
Daniel