[R] Help regarding White's Heteroscedasticity Correction

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 15:38:48 CET 2009

Generally in the presence of heteroskedasticity of unknown form OLS
produces consistent estimates of your regression coefficients. The
estimates of  standard errors are biased in the presence of
heteroskedasticity,  White's  procedure is a way of producing
consistent estimates of the standard errors.  It does not change the
estimates of the coefficients.  It does not change the residuals.

    Patterns in your residuals may show up as heteroskedasticity when
tested but they may be an indication of wrong functional form or of
missing variables or of some other form of misspecification.

Best Regards

John