[R] ifelse()

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 23:10:30 CET 2009

Take it in a couple of steps.  'ifelse' will take the evaluation of a
logical vector (first parameter) and return it second parameter if
TRUE or the third parameter if FALSE:

> X<-c(2,2,1,1,0,0)
> X > 0
[1]  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE FALSE FALSE
> ifelse(X > 0, 1,0)
[1] 1 1 1 1 0 0

Now the second and third parameters can also be vectors and the
corresponding value will be chosen:

> ifelse(X > 0, 1:6, 11:16)
[1]  1  2  3  4 15 16

HTH