[R] Generating Numbers With Certain Distribution in R

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Wed Feb 11 05:07:09 CET 2009

Gundala Viswanath <gundalav <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> Is there a way to generate K numbers of integer (K = 10^6).
> The maximum value of the integer is 200,000 and minimum is 1.
>
> And the occurrences of this integer follows
> a lognormal distribution.
>
> - Gundala Viswanath
> Jakarta - Indonesia

  Technically speaking, I don't think this is possible
since lognormal variates range from 0 to infinity
and are continuous.  However, perhaps something like

x <- rlnorm(1e6,mulog=1,sdlog=1) ## pick any parameters you like
y <- round((x-min(x))/diff(range(x)))*199999+1

  That probably doesn't do exactly what you want,
but you will probably need to specify your problem more
precisely (and perhaps give some context) if you want
a better answer ...

  Ben Bolker