[R] Loop on characters

Phil Spector spector at stat.berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 11 09:08:16 CET 2009

megh -
    The best way to organize similar objects in R is to
put them into a list.  If you keep this in mind when you're
first organizing your data, it's no harder than giving each object
a separate name.  For example

> l = list(l1,l2,l3)

The reason that this is a good idea in R is that functions
like sapply, lapply, and mapply automatically operate on each
element of a list, and return the answer in a suitable R object.
(Note that in your example, you would get an error because you
hadn't defined count1.  And why should you?)

So the answer you want is

> count1 = sapply(l,length)
> count1
[1]  4  6 52