[R] How to handle large numbers?

david.jessop at ubs.com david.jessop at ubs.com
Wed Feb 11 14:55:14 CET 2009

Hi

In answer to your first question is that it can be anything.  If we look
at 0 * a = 0 and let a tend to infinity, and b * Inf = Inf and let b
tend to zero then you can get both zero and infinity as an answer.  If
you say consider c * 1/c = 1 and let c tend to infinity then it can be
one too (you get the idea).

On your second point, then a bit of transformation would help:
	exp (a) / (exp (b) + c) =
	exp (a) / (exp (b) + exp (log (c)) =
	exp (a - (b + log (c))

For example,