[R] What is going on?

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 20:45:03 CET 2009

Lists. You're missing the "list" concept. I'm sure others can explain it
better, but here's the basic idea.

Take a look at l after you do the split:
[[1]]
[1] "1" "2"
> length(l)
[1] 1

strsplit() returns a list of length 1, with two elements, the two
split "bits" of your initial string. The help for strsplit() even says:

   A list of length 'length(x)' the 'i'-th element of which contains
     the vector of splits of 'x[i]'.

You can get the individual components that you expected with
l[[1]][1]
and
l[[1]][2]

This is confusing in the single case, but allows strsplit to work on multiple
strings:

> s <- c("1,2", "3,4")
> l = strsplit(s, ",", fixed=TRUE)
[[1]]