[R] How to comment in R

Berwin A Turlach berwin at maths.uwa.edu.au
Thu Feb 12 09:43:36 CET 2009

G'day Wacek,

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 22:02:21 +0100
Wacek Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk at idi.ntnu.no> wrote:

> Gavin Simpson wrote:

> >> now that's *not* true.  not so long ago i submitted a patch
> >> improving on Prof Brian Ripley's ad hoc fix to grep, and it was
> >> silently ignored.

How do you know that this is not true?  R core members have repeatedly
stated that patches are always welcome, they have never said that
all patches will be applied.  A patch being silently ignored does not,
in my book, imply that the patch is not welcome. :)

> > I recall your posting with patches, but I don't recall whether these
> > were done via the bug repository. If they weren't,
>
> they weren't.  originally, i answered Prof Brian Ripley's post
> announcing the fix (which was sent to r help), and since it was
> ignored, i resent the fix to r-devel.

Are you talking about the patch in:
	http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e6/devel/09/01/0201.html
?

That one does not look like a patch against the svn sources; see
	http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=misc:rpatch
about how to submit patches.

HTH.

Cheers,

	Berwin

Berwin A Turlach                            Tel.: +65 6516 4416 (secr)
Dept of Statistics and Applied Probability        +65 6516 6650 (self)
Faculty of Science                          FAX : +65 6872 3919
National University of Singapore
6 Science Drive 2, Blk S16, Level 7          e-mail: statba at nus.edu.sg
Singapore 117546                    http://www.stat.nus.edu.sg/~statba