[R] Bootstrap or Wilcoxons' test?

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Sat Feb 14 04:16:54 CET 2009

Hi Charlotta, to be more constructive toward your goal. If you bootstrap the
regression when the regression is ill-specified, the bootstrap may not help
you. Further, a test as "difficult" as a regression does not seem to be
necessary in your case. A t-test if your dependent variable is
(approxiamately) normal for both groups and if variances are equal or a
Wilcoxon test if your dependent variable is not normal should do.

The bootstrap should be very powerful if you do NOT perform it on the
regression (again, bootstrapping the regression may just mean to do the
wrong thing over and over again, which is no improvement). Just bootstrap
sample means for the two groups and compare them appropriately (see:
http://www.stat.berkeley.edu/users/rodwong/Stat131a/boot_diff_twomeans.pdf
). Otherwise, rely on the result of the Wilcoxon test as it is likely more
appropriate if your dependent variable is not normal in the two groups.

Daniel

cuncta stricte discussurus