[R] Mann Whitney test

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sat Feb 14 15:50:34 CET 2009

Daniel Moreira wrote:
> Rodrigo,
>
> Wilcoxon?Mann?Whitney allows arbitrary sample sizes. It is an extension of
> the original Wilcoxon test which only handles equal sample sizes.

> Daniel Moreira, MD

I believe you'll find that the Wilcoxon 2-sample test always allowed for
unequal sample sizes.  To be clear there is the Wilcoxon 2-sample test
(Wilcoxon-Mann-Whitney 2-sample rank-sum test, to be precise) and the
Wilcoxon signed-rank one sample test, usually used for paired data (in
which the sample sizes are equal by definition since with paired data we
subtract a f(pre) from f(post) where f is a suitable transformation for
the pre and post measurements from the same subject).

Frank