[R] implementing Grubbs outlier test on a large dataframe

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Feb 15 00:17:46 CET 2009

Sending each row of a datatframe, dfm,  as a vector to a function,
fcn, is as simple as;

apply(dfm, 1, fcn)

e.g.:

 > dfm <- data.frame(x=rnorm(10), y=rnorm(10), z=rnorm(10))
 >
 > apply(dfm, 1, sum)
  [1]  0.7385838 -3.1819193  0.3415670 -0.6552601 -1.3470174
-0.6446259 -0.6544967
  [8]  0.1778169 -0.3330527  0.6246071

And with the second argument set to 2, you would get a columnwise
application of the function.

You need to show us what your function looks like to go any further. I
am unclear how one could get a function that only operates on a single
row to yield an outlier classification.

--
David Winsemius