[R] Outlier Detection for timeseries

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Mon Feb 16 18:47:38 CET 2009

Danger: More careful thought required.

"Outlier....s" (Title of a TECHNOMETRICS paper of a couple of decades ago)
are an artificial construct: there is NO SUCH THING in the abstract. They
exist only wrt to a model. So there is no such thing as software that "tells
whether the changes are considered ...". Rather, you must consider
alternative "suitable" models, examine their fits, scientific implications,
interpretation, etc. Frequently, several models will fit essentially equally
well, but different subsets of the data will appear "unusual" (I no longer
use the word "outlier" because of the intimation that there is an objective
statistical meaning to this term, which there is not) for each.

Statistical algorithms cannot replace careful thinking. Sorry about that.

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech