[R] Ideal (possible) configuration for an exalted R system

Kingsford Jones kingsfordjones at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 21:44:48 CET 2009

Hi Harsh,

The useR! 2008 site has useful information.  E.g. talks by

Graham Williams:

http://www.statistik.uni-dortmund.de/useR-2008/slides/Williams.pdf

Dirk Eddelbuettel

http://www.statistik.uni-dortmund.de/useR-2008/tutorials/useR2008introhighperfR.pdf

and others

http://www.statistik.uni-dortmund.de/useR-2008/abstracts/AbstractsByTopic.html#High%20Performance%20Computing

A few days ago I was googling to see what types of workstations are
available these days.  Here's some with up to 64gb ram:

http://www.colfax-intl.com/jlrid/SpotLight.asp?IT=0&RID=80

Perhaps it won't be long before we see such memory in laptops:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/01/samsung_opens_door_to_32gb_ram_stick.html

Like you, I'd also be interested in hearing about configurations folks
have used to work w/ large datasets.

hth,

Kingsford Jones