[R] Comparison of age categories using contrasts

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Feb 16 22:07:31 CET 2009

One approach is to create your own contrasts matrix:

> mycmat <- diag(8)
> mycmat[ row(mycmat) == col(mycmat) + 1 ] <- -1
> mycmati <- solve(mycmat)
> contrasts(agefactor) <- mycmati[,-1]

Now when you use agefactor, the intercept will be the first age group and the slopes will be the differences between the pairs of groups (make sure that the order of the levels of agefactor is correct).

The difference between this method and the contr.sdif function in MASS is how the intercept will end up being interpreted (and the dimnames).

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center