[R] Percentiles/Quantiles with Weighting

roger koenker rkoenker at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 17 21:13:38 CET 2009

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820

On Feb 17, 2009, at 1:58 PM, Brigid Mooney wrote:

> Thanks for pointing me to the quantreg package as a resource.  I was
> hoping to ask be able to address one quick follow-up question...
>
> I get slightly different variants between using the rq funciton with
> formula = mydata ~ 1 as I would if I ran the same data using the
> quantile function.
> Example:
>
> mydata <- (1:10)^2/2
> pctile <- seq(.59, .99, .1)
>
> quantile(mydata, pctile)
> 59%    69%    79%    89%    99%
> 20.015 26.075 32.935 40.595 49.145
>
> rq(mydata~1, tau=pctile)
> Call:
> rq(formula = mydata ~ 1, tau = pctile)
> Coefficients:
>             tau= 0.59 tau= 0.69 tau= 0.79 tau= 0.89 tau= 0.99
> (Intercept)        18      24.5        32      40.5        50
> Degrees of freedom: 10 total; 9 residual
>
> Is it correct to assume this is due to the different accepted
> methods of calculating quantiles?  If so, do you know where I would
> be able to see the algorithms used in these functions?  I'm not
> finding it in the documentation for function rq, and am new enough
> to R that I don't know where those references would generally be.

Yes,  quantile() in base R documents 9 varieties of quantiles, 2 more
than
William Empson's famous 7 Types of Ambiguity.  In quantreg the function
rq() finds a solution to an underlying optimization problem and
doesn't ask
any further into the nature of the ambiguity -- it does often produce a
warning indicating that there may be more than one solution.  The
default
base R quantile is interpolated, while the default rq() with method =
"br"
using the simplex algorithm finds an order statistic, typically.  If
you prefer
something more like interpolation, you can try rq() with method = "fn"
which is using an interior point algorithm and when there are multiple
solutions it tends to produce something more like the centroid of the
solution set.  I hope that this helps.