[R] Python and R

Esmail Bonakdarian esmail.js at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 00:35:15 CET 2009

Hello!

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com> wrote:

> Esmail Bonakdarian wrote:
>>
>> I am just wondering if any of you are doing most of your scripting
>> with Python instead of R's programming language and then calling
>> the relevant R functions as needed?
>
> No, but if I wanted to do such a thing, I'd look at Sage: http://sagemath.org/

ah .. thanks for the pointer, I had not heard of Sage, I was just
starting to look at
SciPy.

> It'll give you access to a lot more than just R.
>
>> Is there much of a performance hit either way? (as both are interpreted
>> languages)
>
> Are you just asking, or do you have a particular execution time goal, which if exceeded
> would prevent doing this?  I ask because I suspect it's the former, and fast enough is fast
> enough.

I put together a large'ish R program last year, but I think I would be
happier if I could code
it in say Python - but I would rather not do that at the expense of
execution time.

Thanks again for telling me about Sage.

Esmail