[R] FW: Can't access CRAN

Charles Annis, P.E. Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
Wed Feb 18 02:19:05 CET 2009

Dear R-Helpers:

I'm running R version 2.8.1 on a 1 year old HP Pavilion with a AMD Athelon
64 Dual Core Processor 4800+ 2.50GHz chip, Vista Home Premium SP1, and 2 GB
RAM.  I can't add packages (even running as Administrator) because I can't
connect to a CRAN mirror.

> chooseCRANmirror()

(After nearly a minute I see the menu, and after any selection I immediately
see)

Warning message:
In open.connection(con, "r") :
  unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80.

BUT - I also have R 2.6.2 installed on this machine.  It works perfectly.

Consulting the FAQ I tried changing permissions but no-go, plus the
permissions on R 2.6.2 and R 2.8.1 appear to be identical.

I'm baffled.  Can anyone illuminate this situation?

Thanks

Charles Annis, P.E.

Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
phone: 561-352-9699
eFax:  614-455-3265
http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com