[R] basic inquiry regarding write.csv

CJ Rubio cjrubio at kongju.ac.kr
Wed Feb 18 07:41:08 CET 2009

i have a loop which looks likes this:

> data.info <- rbind(data.info, cbind(station.id, year, date,
> max.discharge))
+  y <- split(data.info, data.info[station.id])
+  for (i in names(y))
         {write.csv(y[[i]], file=paste(i, ".csv", sep=","))}

i am wondering, where the file (which i am about to write in .csv format)
will be saved? i looked at ?write.csv and it says there that :

file                   either a character string naming a file or a
connection open for writing. "" indicates output to the console.

correct me if i'm wrong but the way i undestand it is, i should have a file
or a working directory where the .csv will be written.  if for example i
have a working directory "E:/my_work_directory", how can i save this
splitted files in the same directory?

can anybody please enlighten me more with write.csv and the argument file?

thanks..