[R] alpha shape function

roger koenker rkoenker at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 18 14:46:07 CET 2009

As it happens, I have also been looking into this.  I began by
considering
Ken Clarkson's hull:  http://www.netlib.org/voronoi/hull.html  but
eventually
discovered that its alpha shapes don't seem to treat holes in regions,
only
simply connected regions.  (I would be happy to hear to the contrary, if
someone has other experience.)  There is a nice matlab implementation
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/6760 which I've
also experimented with using R.matlab, but  this is still very early
days.
The matlab version is only 2d, whereas Clarkson does "moderate d"
which
extends at least to 3d.
Given tripack, it seems like alpha-shapes shouldn't be such a big
enterprise, and
might  make a nice project for someone with an interest in computational
geometry.   Hint, hint.  Nudge, Nudge.

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820