[R] type III effect from glm()

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 13:23:26 CET 2009

Hi Simon,

>> I want to know if yrs (a continuous variable) has a significant unique
>> effect in the model,
>> so I fit a simplified model with the main effect ommitted...

[A different approach...] This is not really a sensible question until you
have established that there is no significant interaction between "yrs" and
"district." If this interaction is significant then, ipso facto, the effect
of "yrs" is not unique but depends on "district." So establish that first.

There is a good section on marginality in MASS (Venables & Ripley) and, as
Mark has mentioned, in Prof Fox's texts. From what I can remember, some of
these tests are reparametrized behind the scenes to enforce the marginality
constraint.

Regards, Mark.