[R] Diagnostics for single-observation deletion in Cox models

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Mon Feb 23 14:10:26 CET 2009

> Storer and Crowley (JASA 1985) presented an approach for approximating the
> changes in maximum partial-likelihood parameter estimates for the Cox model
> when a single observation is deleted.  Is there an R implementation of this
> approach?

  I found that the approximation of Reid and Crepeau (Biometrika 1985) is
superior.  It is true that it sometimes underestimates the effect of a large
outlier, but the Storer and Crowley method does much poorer on the smaller
residuals, sometimes even getting the wrong sign.  The R&C values are returned
as the 'dfbeta' residuals from a coxph model.  The same residual formula as R&C
was derived by Cain and Lange (Biometrics 1984) in a different way, and also
arises in the definition of a robust variance for multiple event models.

   Terry Therneau