[R] polr (MASS): score test for proportional odds model

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Feb 25 00:34:00 CET 2009

Michael Friendly wrote:
> For the following model,
>
> library(vcd)
> arth.polr <- polr(Improved ~ Sex + Treatment + Age, data=Arthritis)
> summary(arth.polr)
>
> where Improved is an ordered, 3-level response I'm looking for a
> *simple* way to test
> the validity of the proportional odds assumption, typically done via a
> score test
> for equal slopes/effects over the predictors.

That test is anti-conservative.  I like graphical methods using partial
residual plots as in my book.  See the following reference.  -Frank

@ARTICLE{pet90par,
   author = {Peterson, Bercedis and Harrell, Frank E.},
   year = 1990,
   title = {Partial proportional odds models for ordinal response
variables},
   journal = Applied Statistics,
   volume = 39,
   pages = {205-217}