[R] Leave one out Cross validation (LOO)

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Feb 25 14:38:12 CET 2009

Alex Roy wrote:
> Dear Frank,
>                    Thanks for your comments. But in my situation, I do
> not have any future data and I want to calculate Mean Square Error for
> prediction on future data. So, is it not it a good idea to go for LOO?
>
> thanks
>
> Alex

With resampling you should be able to estimate any parameter including
sigma.  The Design package's validate.ols function can estimate sigma
using the bootstrap or c-v, penalizing for backward stepdown variable
selection, although I have found some counter-intuitive estimates of
sigma using Efron's optimism bootstrap.

Frank